PREPARING YOUR CAR FOR SALE
Selling a car privately can be quite an undertaking; it’s not hard to do, however, it does take time and effort. If you’re willing to make the time commitment Buy Sell Auto Mart will offer some basic yet common tips on how to properly prepare your used vehicle for sale that will maximize the selling price. Remember - it’s not about you, it’s about the buyer. In preparation, view your car with objectivity, be honest regarding the condition. What would make you want to buy your car if you were the buyer?
- It’s all about Presentation - The easiest way to start is to have the car detailed by a professional, if money is tight-a good old fashioned wash, wax and vacuum is a good place to start.
- Exterior - Please remove stickers, antenna balls, and other personal items from the exterior of the car, they may distract a buyer. Replace any burned out lights, lenses and fuses. Dress the trim and tires, your cars exterior will be appealing to the eye.
- Interior - Remove the clutter inside the car and trunk. Clean the windows both inside and out, including rearview mirror and side mirrors. Use a cleaner designed for automobile surfaces and clean the dashboard and instrument panel. Don’t miss the door jams, nothing worse than a clean car with dirty door jams.
- Engine Compartment - Clean out leaves, branches and bugs. Wipe down the engine compartment. Don’t forget to top off all fluids.
- Service records - Offer repair and service records to the buyer in an organized manner, a savvy buyer will ask for them anyway. This shows you’ve kept up with the maintenance and are selling a reliable vehicle.
- CARFAX - Offer this to the buyer, it will lend you credibility and give the buyer peace of mind. Generate a CARFAX report.
- Pricing - This step is critical. Be realistic when setting a price. Keep in mind the buyer is doing the same research you’re doing-looking up similar vehicles for sale to determine what to pay for your car. Do your homework, setting your price too high will only help other sellers sell their cars.
- SOLD - Never turn over your keys and title until you have payment in full in cash, certified check, or money order. Absolutely under no circumstance do you ever take a personal check. Have a bill of sale ready-include a statement that the car is being sold “as is” and keep a copy for your records.
If you just don’t have the time or don’t want the hassle of selling a car privately - Check the Buy Sell Auto Mart dealer list. We host thousands of dealerships nationwide. Pick a dealer in your state and trade your car in. They will also be able to help you purchase your next car.